Tips And Guidance For Managing Social Anxiety And Shyness
Do you think you might have social anxiety? Below are the seven signs of social anxiety commonly exhibited by patients according to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), and you may need at least five criteria below to be diagnosed with Social Anxiety Disorder.
- The fear, anxiety, or avoidant is persistent, typically lasting for six months or more.
- The fear, anxiety, or avoidant is out of proportion to the actual threat posed by the social situation and socio-cultural context.
- The fear, anxiety, or avoidance caused significant distress or impairment in daily activities.
- Marked fear or anxiety about one or more social situations in which an individual is exposed to possible scrutiny by others, such as being observed & performing in front of people.
- The individual fears that she/he will be negatively evaluated when acting or showing anxiety symptoms.
- The social situations almost always provoke fear or anxiety.
- The social situations are avoided or endured with intense fear or anxiety.